We regret to inform our readers and contest applicants that due to the unpredictably high workload experienced by our editors’ team, the Winter 2016 Smart.Study Essay Writing Scholarship has been postponed.
We are deeply sorry for any inconvenience this may have caused you.
We will be happy to inform all interested applicants about the contest’s relaunch. If you would like to receive a personal notification, just send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Once again, please accept our sincerest apologies for this unexpected change of plans.
Smart.Study provides $1500 in scholarships for talented students who demonstrate mastery of essay writing.
Scholarships will be awarded to three winners of the Smart.Study Essay Writing Contest on February 15, 2017.
Here are the basic rules:
- The Essay Writing Contest starts on November 1, 2016, and lasts through December 29, 2016.
- All students, regardless of academic level and location, are eligible to participate.
- The $1500 scholarship will be divided between three winners.
- To enter, students must follow the Smart.Study Essay Writing Scholarship guidelines provided below.
ESSAY WRITING SCHOLARSHIP — OVERVIEW
Smart.Study is excited to introduce a unique opportunity for passionate writers to express their thoughts, get published, and win a scholarship. Our Essay Writing Contest offers significant benefits:
1st place — $700
2nd place — $500
3rd place — $300
The three best works will be published on the Smart.Study Blog.
Become recognized for your voice and talent—let the world hear you!
Smart.Study will issue certificates to all participants whose essays meet submission guidelines.
All students, regardless of major or academic level, are eligible to participate.
- Choose your topic and write your piece according to all essay submission guidelines.
- Share this post on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+. Along with your essay, send three screenshots to prove that you have shared the post.
- Publish your completed essay on your Facebook page with this message: “Hey everyone! I’m participating in the Smart.Study Essay Writing Contest. Like my essay and share it to help me win the #SmartStudyScholarship.” Make sure that this post is public and send the link to it along with your essay.
- Email your essay and all required screenshots and links to email@example.com by December 29, 2016.
- Please note that winners will be required to provide proof of enrollment in order to claim the prize.
ESSAY SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
To be eligible for the scholarship, you must write one essay that meets all of the following criteria:
- Has a word count of 500-700 words (excluding title, header, and works cited page)
- Is written in US or UK English
- Is 100% plagiarism-free
- Is submitted in .doc or .docx format
- Follows MLA style to format the paper and cite sources (download our MLA checklist to check your formatting)
- Has three or more sources cited on the Works Cited page
- File name should be [Smart.Study Writing Contest_Last Name]
Choose one of the following five topics for your essay:
- What is your advice for writing an A-grade college essay?
- How can you overcome reluctance when writing an essay about a topic you are not interested in?
- Does college homework help undergraduates assimilate knowledge, or does it discourage them?
- How can strong essay writing skills help young people build successful careers after graduation?
- Why should students avoid plagiarism in their homework assignments?
Please note that each participant can submit only one essay.
Smart.Study’s Essay Writing Contest starts on November 1, 2016, and lasts for two months. The deadline for submissions is midnight EST on December 29, 2016.
No late submissions will be accepted.
Note! You can earn extra points (at a maximum of 30) in two ways:
- Publish your essay on your personal blog/website (15 points, maximum one post)
- Collect likes and shares for your essay post on Facebook (1 like = 0.5 points, 1 share = 1 point)
To earn extra points for publishing your essay on your personal blog/website, make sure to include this message: “I have decided to participate in the Smart.Study Essay Writing Contest. This contest is an awesome opportunity for students from all around the globe to win a cash prize and get published on the Smart.Study blog. You can find my essay below. Let me know what you think!” Send us the link to this post on your blog/website along with your essay.
Starts on December 30, 2016, and lasts through January 19, 2017.
All submitted works will be evaluated by a team of highly qualified writers and editors.
Essays will be graded for:
- Grammar, punctuation, and spelling (20 points)
- Organization (20 points)
- Style (20 points)
- Referencing system (10 points)
Considering that participants can earn 30 extra points for social sharing, the maximum possible grade is 100 points.
Starts on January 20, 2017, and lasts through February 13, 2017.
The top 15 essays chosen by our team of highly qualified writers and editors will be published on the Smart.Study blog on January 20, 2017.
All Smart.Study blog readers will have the opportunity to read them and vote for their favorite essays by sharing them on social media. One share through one social media account is equal to 1 point. (Each essay can receive a maximum of 3 points per person for each social media account.)
Voting will last through midnight EST on February 13, 2017.
Additionally, these 15 essays will be evaluated by a team of highly proficient and respectful judges. Works will be graded for content (20 points).
Three winners will be determined based on the judges’ evaluation and online voting.
Results will be announced on February 15, 2017, on the Smart.Study blog.
Please note that winners will need to provide proof of enrollment in order to claim the prize. If a winner does not provide proof of enrollment, the prize will be awarded to the next most qualified participant.
By submitting your essay, you become a participant in the Smart.Study Essay Writing Contest and scholarship. You agree to all terms and conditions stated in this post, and you recognize that the decision of the judges is final and cannot be appealed.
Neither the judges nor the readers of the Smart.Study blog will have access to any personal information of the participants.